Sunday, March 23, 2014

So delicious....

Well most of the people around me know by now that I am absolutely not a foodie. I eat due to the dire need of eating for energy and to keep my body working. If only I had that kind of money to afford those pills which can make me go on without food for a day, I would love to have them instead of anything else. But when it comes to pizza, there are no compromises. I absolutely love eating pizza, something I alone can live on for years. Nonetheless without diverting much from the original topic, I just want to make my point that food and me are not very friendly, nor do we hate each other. It’s a ok kind of a relationship we share.

But it was only recently in one of the many conversations we have now and then, that mom and dad reminded me of such a sweet and simple meal which I am madly craving to have now and I only wish if I could get that taste back in my mouth. The moment I remembered about this special dish, I could see myself like a kid curiously gulping on my plate, loving every morsel of what was in there and that amazing taste, beyond any words I don’t know why I have tears in my eyes thinking and remembering this. Is it because I have hardly ever given any thought to that or is it because it’s almost been fourteen years that I have not tasted it? I do not know that, but what I do know is that my heart craves for it and I know I can never have it again and that taste shall always haunt me.

Well before I can elaborate about the dish or about the chef who managed to get my taste buds to salivate, I would like to warn my very dear readers that I am going to digress a lot from the original topic only because it holds the closest to my heart and it has open a Pandora of memories I cannot afford to miss out on. So here I begin.

To begin with, as I mentioned earlier and established the very fact that I am no foodie, I have never taken a liking of the Afghani or Muslim dishes. It was just the thought that the people who cook them have always been against us and a lot of more things which deserve little mention. So a dish like biryani has never quite been on the list of my likings. But only recently I realized that I have had a craving for this special kind of biryani and its taste cannot be matched and compared with even the world’s best cooks as it was made by my best-est chef. Well I am sure you know how much you are missed.

As for this special chef of mine, well there is a hell lot to speak about him. But most importantly, I would like to share the fact that he was the head of my family. And he was loved and respected by all. My dearest Daddyji, well that is how we used to address our dearest grandfather, the handsomest man ever known by me. Believe me Hrithik doesn’t even stand a chance in front of him. And as Chaiji always used to say, she was lucky to have had such a husband. Well I know how lucky I am to be a part of him. Daddyji you are still the best. Love you and miss you a lot.

Well it wasn’t such an exquisite preparation of the so called special biryani. But its taste, how can anything match it. Daddy would usually prepare chicken, and believe me it was delicious the way he would ensure the chicken is cooked to perfection with the exact amount of everything. And it was the last day’s left over chicken which he would mix with rice and cook it for us. Oh! How I remember fighting over the pieces of chicken with everyone else. It wasn’t something extravagant, yet for me it was the best of what I have had till date. Since the day mom and dad have mentioned about it and I have remembered about Daddy’s cooking days and those yummy dishes I have had, I feel like my appetite died the day he left us. With him my craze for food also went away. But here I am, once again thinking and remembering those amazing dishes which I know I will never ever be able to cook.

By the way, Daddy and Chaiji, I know you both will be proud of me, but I have managed to cook an entire day’s meal when momma was not here. I know Papa had to live through those days, but I cooked for the first time, on my own and yes I am proud of myself. I knew I could always cook just the very thought of cooking never appealed to me. But I did.


Miss you both a lot and thank you for those wonderful memories. You both will always be loved and missed. Take Care and give my regards to Bhagwanji who has been amazingly kind to all of us.

No comments: