Sunday, September 19, 2010

Wisdom lost and found...

I had heard about wisdom and wisdom tooth. Chaiji, my grandmother, would always say that once when we get old and wise, we gain not just wisdom but also wisdom tooth. So it was time for to gain some wisdom and my tooth as well. :-)
I believed that as my tooth was coming out, I was becoming more serious and mature about myself and my life. I thought I would finally have control of my life. But how very wrong I was. "Life is twisted", that is what Akon singing in my ears. And he is so right about it. Anyways back to my wisdom and its tooth.
I know I had a very silly notion about my wisdom tooth, and I believed that I was yet to have my tooth when suddenly one day my jaw started paining and I realized it was actually time for me to gain my wisdom teeth. The Dentist said that there is always a reflex pain, it feels like the tooth is coming out in the lower jaw but actually the tooth is coming out in the upper jaw. And that is what had happened with me. I thought that my lower jaw was paining because of the wisdom tooth, but it was my upper jaw which was actually in pain. So I had to go to the dentist because the pain was driving me nuts and I just couldn't bear it any longer and had to give in.
I visited the Dentist, not my regular doc, but a new one who stays very near to our place and supposedly Dad had heard that he was a good and young doc. [I doubt what youth is supposed to do with a good doc] Anyways that isn't the matter of concern. The Doc gave me a long list of tablets which I hate so much. Never in my entire life, uptil now, have I been forced to take tablets and that too 4 tablets per meal. It is yucky and I, a person who can't swallow the meds, has the worst of times trying to swallow those tablets. Still somehow I have managed it quite well [touch wood] uptil now.
Sunday which is supposed to be a fun day, wasn't a bit of it. It was the day, the doc was supposed to extract my wisdom tooth and even my wisdom. I was scared and a little disappointed a little. I so want to keep my wisdom tooth with me and didn't want to part ways with it. But according to the doc, it would have been wise if I go with the extraction procedure or otherwise I would have a problem for the rest of my life. Even though completely against it, I finally gave in to the wishes of my dad and the doc.
In the morning I was calm and quite, trying my best not to think about the extraction procedure. So I started watching "Kate and Leopold" and realized that I love the movie and can watch it over and over again. Hugh Jackman is just perfect in that movie and more on the movie some other time. After the movie I got ready to go to the doctor, it was time. Mom was to accompawny me, usually dad has always been there with me whenever I need to go to a doc, but today was different. Dad had to take care of some work so I was with mom.
Waiting outside the chamber, I kept messaging my bff and my bf, keeping them both updated with the procedures I was to face in some time. Soon the doc called me in and asked me to open my mouth [when Dentists say so, you are not supposed to take it in any other sense]. He sprayed something funny inside my mouth and gave me two injections. I am never scared of injections but the thought of the needle inside my mouth scared me for a moment. Still I had to go through all of it. After giving the injection, he asked me to wait outside. Sitting outside, watching Krish on Star Gold, I realized that no matter what we want or desire, we get only that which we deserve or which is supposedly good for us.
The doc's call interrupted my thoughts and I was in the scary room again and this time for the actual procedure. I still was against the idea of my wisdom to be extracted away from me. But it had to be done. So the doc, with a very weird looking apparatus started pulling out my tooth and in seconds he asked me to get up from the chair and inserted a cotton inside my mouth. The tooth was actually extracted and I felt a little pain, I wouldn't say that I didn't feel anything  but it wasn't the hard-hitting pain I was expecting and dreading and what is best, it was over so soon.
The doc asked me to take a few precautions, as in eat anything cold and soft for two days and not to speak too much over the phone for the day. :P I was back home with my wisdom tooth with me and three cups of chocolate ice-cream. :D Oh, its been ages since I have had an ice-cream, on second thoughts, my last ice-cream was in Bhubaneshwar. Even my parents would be happy for the day as they wouldn't have to listen to my nonsense for the day. Lucky parents. :D :P
So now I am one wisdom tooth short. But thankfully I didn't lose my wisdom, atleast whatever I had. And infact learnt a few lessons as well. First, when you go to a dentist, don't look at his instruments, they will only scare you. No matter how many people are there around you to support you, you are the only one who has to face the pain, that too all alone. And everyone has a time and space, just that not everything and everyone have their own sweet time and space in this earth. Also, no matter how hard you try not to speak and open your mouth, you will have to whenever you are hungry. :D :P
So even though I have lost one of my wisdom teeth, thankfully I gained some wisdom for a change. ;) I know I am just underestimating myself but its all in good humour. Will miss you my dear wisdom tooth. Thank you for being a part of me and for bearing me and chewing all the junk I have had all this time. You have been a great support for me. Now that you are gone, I am sure the other teeth will miss you too. :) My dearest first wisdom tooth day out. :)

No comments: