Saturday, September 11, 2010

Wednesday!!!

It was a not so good day in university for me.  A Wednesday, the day I was born wasn't going good at all. First it was the shitty overly crowded bus I had to ride in. Then I got a cabin seat, which I don't prefer while travelling in the bus because the women crowd there like anything and don't leave enough space for the others to even breathe in. And then as an icing, they never use a deodrant or wear a perfume. Its so disgusting and you can't do anything about it. So here I was in this horrendous condition where women were pushing each other and stomping on my feet... I had no choice but to sit there and wait for the time I was to get down from the bus. But as my not so good luck was favoring me so very much, the idiotic bus driver was driving at his own leisure, stopping for every damn person on the road, even for those who were least interested to be a part of the crowd inside the bus. It was just irritating, and not just me, there were other passengers in the bus as well who were making good use of their vocal cords by shouting at the conductor and the driver, though it had no effect on either of them.
My one and an half hour journey was becoming a nightmare now cause I was unable to even keep my feet properly over the foot rest as this stupid school girl, on her way for Puja Shopping had occupied that space and no matter how much I was hinting her to shift a little, she didn't even bother to move even an inch. And to add to my miseries, this really sweet looking, though overly healthy aunty got a seat right beside me. I know I shouldn't be cribbing about anything infact but her healthy body was making my sitting more and more uncomfortable, and I was on the verge of falling off my seat. Whenever there was a jerk, this sweet aunty would push me a little harder and then smile. I know it wasn't her fault, but I really couldn't question as to whose fault it really was. So here I was waiting for my joy-ride to come to an end.

But my not so good luck was damn persistent on turning my day into a day full of rubbish and idiotic occurences, when the rains started. Even though I was inside the bus and not getting a free wash out in the rains, the traffic in the roads miraculously increased and there we all were inside a highly slow-driven bus which was badly caught up in traffic jam and it seemed like ages that we had made a progress inside the bus. Finally the bus moved and I reached my stop. I was relieved and in a way happy to be out of the bus and its crowd finally. But as soon as I stepped out of the bus, heavy rains became a new obstacle for me. Thankfully I had my umbrella in my bag so I wasn't going to get wet. Late and a little wet in the rains, I entered the historical institution, Calcutta University.
I was well aware of the fact that I was late for my class. Though I managed running up the stairs and reaching the class when I saw that my friends had failed to keep a seat for me and so I had to sit in the last bench all alone. I was seriously irritated. First the seat in the bus and then here in class. What exactly was God trying to tell me? Or was I over-thinking things? Or it was all just a stupid coincidence? Who knew?
So here I was in the class, at the last bench, sitting with people I have never interacted with. The second class started and this time, just look at the irony of the situation, I was sitting in the first bench, though still without my friends. This time I was sitting with my classmates, atleast I had the privilege of sitting next to those with whom I can interact. Second class ended and we had to hunt down to another classroom for another seat. And this time, I was sitting all alone. No other choice, but had to face it. The fourth class was cancelled off, so decided to go back home. What a relief I felt just thinking about the word Home.
All thanks to my not so good luck, I didn't get any bus and it was pointless waiting there cause all I would have done was to waste time. So I decided to walk down, a walk of fifteen minutes, and from this other stop I would get a direct bus home. So I was walking down and thankfully there was no showers but only a bright sun to accompany me, making me sweat like a pig. I was about to cross the road when I realized that I had missed my bus. "Not again!", I said to myself. But it was of no use. I had to wait and thankfully the next bus came just after five minutes. The bus was crowded so I had given up on the hopes of finding myself a seat there, when the conductor said that in the cabin seat I can get a place. Again the Cabin Seat. I was like, "It is better than nothing".  So I took the seat and was minding my own business when I turned to pay for my ticket and noticed this girl sitting beside me.
I was quite sure that she was a Marwadi, as if that mattered cause we already had so much in common. We both were girls, travelling in the same bus and there is something else which I would rather not mention :P . So this thing [let it create an atmosphere of mystery] got me thinking if I should approach her or not, or should I just skip it. But I just couldn't help myself and asked her directly about it. I was sure of one thing, if she wouldn't like my asking, her very first reply would say so. But to my surprise, she replied very sweetly and nicely and wasn't at all offended by it. So here we were two strangers , sitting side by side, talking about a thing  which we both could relate ourselves with. But unlike the typical Bollywood masala flicks, we were two girls, both straight [atleast I'm sure of myself], talking, sharing information.
She was younger to me, after all she was just in her first year of college life and I am on the verge of finishing my study life [Gosh, I don't even want to think of studies anymore].  So one thing led to another, and I must say she was a real talker. Even at times I would stop, but she would go on and on about things. In a span of about 40-50 minutes, we had dealt with a host of topics in our conversation. And frankly, we had so much in common. The best being a dislike for the typicals. We had a good laugh about it and irrespective of the fact of who was listening to us or not, we both were enjoying our time together. We were so deeply in conversation with each other that she almost forgot that her stop had come. And so when she rushed towards the gate, quickly adding, "It was nice meeting you", all I could reply was "Same here". And she almost jumped out of the bus, when a lady standing in front of us asked me, "Aren't you going to leave as well". She must have assumed that we were good friends and judging by the way we were speaking, mind you in Hindi, she had expected me to get down there as well. But when I told this lady that I would get down near the last stop of the bus, she got a little disappointed [maybe with her assumption] and went towards the end of the bus, in the hope of finding herself a seat.

So this was my Wednesday, 8th of September,2010. A superbly eventful day for me. Not so rewarding but not so bad at the same time. I do remember you sweet girl and our conversation as well. Hoping to catch you soon in more of bus rides of our lives. Till then I hope you have a great time ahead and also Best of Good Luck for your exams dear. Even though I know your first name, I would not metion about it. Its good that you remain this anonymous person whom I met in the bus and had a great time with. It was only after I had met you that I had actually started to enjoy my day, well the rest of the day. Thank you sweet girl. Wish you lots of love and luck in life. And also hoping that sometime soon we cross each others path, the way we had this Wednesday. Take Care and God Bless!!!
:)

No comments: