Sunday, September 5, 2010

Do you see, what I see??!!!

Looking back in time, I can still see myself entering through the green gate of my college building. It was my first day in Kolkata's top college, whose name is enough to make others wonder what special quality one has to have made through the cut. And this year it was going to be special. The college was deemed Autonomous status, a very vital step in the history of the colleges in Kolkata.
I was standing in front of the St.Xavier's College (Autonomous), under Calcutta University, and I was among those lucky few whose names where to be included in the list of being the first ever autonomous batch in the state.

It was indeed a privilege to have been able to be a part of such a great institute. Noone from my family had been able to get through any such good college. I was lucky enough to have been selected in the very first system of merit list and didn't had to face any written examinations or go through the interviews. Xavier's was one of the first colleges to have come up with the merit list system and morover was the first college to announce the name of the students it was ready to accomodate. Since my luck was favouring me I got through even before any of my other friends had. I was so excited and happy, not just for myself but for my family who had done so much for me and all I could do was give them the best I had in me.
I had fallen sick the day the merit-list was supposed to come out. I thought that any of my friends can find it out for me. Even though most of my friends where not in touch with me, things had happened and we had parted our ways even before life had made us stand apart from each other. But Dad was so good to me, he decided to take the car so that I can see the result for myself. I was so glad to have my Dad by my side. He is my lucky charm and I truly believe that. And going through the list, there I was. It was so surprising to see my name on the list and then instead of being happy that very instant I was worried about my friends. I didn't want to be the only one in this new world. But unfortunately none of my other friends had made through the list and I was all alone. I was happy and at the same time a little upset. But I could see Dad was so proud of me. I couldn't find my friends inside the premises of the college that day but saw other people whom I was in no mood to greet. I came back home and told everyone at home. They were all happy and I know proud of me as well. Even though some of my school friends were envious and had spread a lot of rumours, it was the least of my concerns.
As for the first day in college. It was fun  and okay. Though I was hoping that here I might find a good-looking guy to pataofy... I was badly disappointed. Though I wasn't disappointed in finding myself Friends. Among the early ones was Arunima Jha and Pallavi Sinha, both from other departments. And I'm glad that I'm still friends with both of them but Pallavi has become a very important part of my life ever since then.  But more on this friendship later. :-)
The second day we were given a brief introduction to the rules and regulations followed in the college by Father Eton (the then Vice-Principal of Arts n Sc. Dept.) and Father Mathew (the then Principal of SXC). Everyone was in awe of the college and was eagerly waiting for the next step. We were assembled in a class, which unfortunately for us was in fourth floor. It was a hell of a climb for us finding the room. As soon as we entered the room we found ourselves and here I remember calling out a girl's name, and she was Betsy Racheal Vergese, my first friend in the English Dept. We were all sitting staring at each other and looking at the others who were going to be a part of our lives in SXC for the next three years when our Professors entered the room.
I clearly remember the Professors. There was Prof. Betrum da Silva, better known as BD or Bertie Sir, he was our head of the department and a really good-looking professor though he appeared to be really strict and uptight. Then there was Prof. Dr.Chandrani Biswas or CB, she was so sweet and kind and enthusiastic in welcoming us to the college, trying her best to make us understand the pressures involved in being associated with the first time introduced semester system. But it was all fun until she passed us a copy of our syllabus and daily time table. That seriously went above each of our heads. Then came in Prof. Partho Mukherjee or Pm, Prof. Suchandana Banerjee or SB, Prof. Christina Mirza or CM and Prof. Arjun Sengupta or ASG. They were all going to be a part of our three years long journey in SXC. It was all so fresh and exciting and fun.
We all had dreams in our eyes and we all were looking forward to an awesome three years in this institute. There was smiles in all the faces. People were fighting to take up the first benches for themselves, choosing between professors, whom they liked the best and who wasn't so interesting and so on. There were green benches in the back gate which attracted our attention a lot. There were trees in the playground. We got to play as well whenever there was no class or no substitutes for the professors absent.
As I look back to the initial days in SXC, I remember how happy each one of us was and how great it was to be associated with something so great. But secrectly everyone was trying to find their place in the college. Everyone was trying to form their own groups and circles of friends, breaking the ice between the seniors and the professors. Those were the initial good days of SXC.


...more to come
:)

1 comment:

amit said...

u made me nostalgic! :(